@@About Us^Patient Rights & Professional Ethics@@Code of Ethics at Kyoto University Hospital
Patient Rights & Professional Ethics
Code of Ethics at Kyoto University Hospital
The mission of medicine and medical care is to cure the sick and to maintain and enhance the health of people. We are aware of the importance of this mission and may serve others on the basis of humanity.
- 1. We strive to achieve a lifelong dedication to continuing education, to keep up with medical knowledge and technology, and to support its progression and development as a science. Therefore, we always take personal responsibility for our words and deeds.
- 2. We co-operate with each other, respect the individuality of patients, and treat them kindly. We also provide patients with enough information about medical treatments, to earn trust, and to engage in medical activities from patients' standpoints.
- 3. We have the responsibility to protect patients' health and safety, and to provide accurate information for them to make informed decisions. At the same time, patients also have the responsibility to provide precise information about their health conditions in order to receive quality treatments.
- 4. We have the responsibility to constantly improve the quality of our medical care. The quality of medical care includes the prevention of medical malpractice, unnecessary tests and medication, the optimization of positive results, and the protection of trial subjects.
- 5. Medical care can be often invasive. In essence, medical care is uncertain due to the complications and variations of human life. We always assume a humble attitude while keeping in mind that medical care can be harmful and limiting.
- 6. Regarding medical malpractice, it is important to disclose any facts promptly to patients, as well as to organize the system which reports and analyzes malpractice cases. The giving of false explanations or making false records is prohibited.
- 7. We are aware that medical care is a public service, and that it contributes to society while abiding by legal standards and establishing legal order.
- 8. We are aware of the dignity and the responsibility of our occupation. It is important to try to increase our knowledge and improve our mind. The abuse of vulnerable patients is strictly prohibited.
- 9. We protect our patients' privacy alongside the progression of the digitization of medical information and the improvement of genetic diagnosis technology.
- 10. We respect, co-operate, and establish a nurturing environment for all medical staff, to the best of our abilities and aptitudes.
- 11. We fairly work for patients so that they may receive equal medical care.
- 12. We do not engage in medical care for profit-making purposes. We are aware of the fact that the relationships with insurance, drug and medical equipment companies would affect the original professional commitment. We also have the responsibility to disclose any information regarding a conflict of interest.
- 13. We have the responsibility to provide general practice and the advanced medical treatments, and to nurture medical staff. To our mind, our medical staff should work to gain patients' cooperation.
- 14. The Duty to Disclose Medical Information: If patients request to disclose their medical records with reasonable reasons, we have the obligation to disclose the information based on the "Guidelines for the Disclosure of Medical Information".
Kyoto University Hospital 54 Kawaharacho, Shogoin, Sakyo-ku Kyoto,606-8507, JAPAN
Please note that we cannot answer questions regarding health issues over the phone.
Copyright © Kyoto University Hospital. All Rights Reserved.